Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Almost Dead by Lisa Jackson


Book description:

The first victim is pushed to her death. The second suffers a fatal overdose. The third takes a bullet to the heart. Three down, more to go. They're people who deserve to die. People who are in the way. And when she's finished, there will be no one left.


Cissy Cahill's world is unraveling fast. One by one, members of her family are dying. Cissy's certain she's being watched. Or is she losing her mind? Lately she's heard footsteps when there's no one around, smelled a woman's perfume, and noticed small, personal items missing from her house. Cissy's right to be afraid--but not for the reason she thinks. The truth is much more terrifying.


Hidden in the shadows of the Cahill family's twisted past is a shocking secret-a secret that will only be satisfied by blood. And Cissy must uncover the deadly truth before it's too late, because fear is coming home. With a vengeance.

I was soooooo super excited when I read about this book coming out. I am a huge fan girl of Lisa Jackon's earlier work (If Only She Knew, Twice Kissed, Intimacies). Almost Dead is a sequel to If Only She Knew.

Let me just right in and say that I hated the heroine. Hated her. Okay, so I bounced back from kind of liking her to hating her. She was such a whiny bee-yotch. Plus she had such disdain for her aunt and uncle (h/h of If Only She Knew). That really annoyed me because from what I remember, they both did a lot for her. Jackson tried to write this off as Cissy's inability to let people close to her. When you have a psyhcotic mother and a dead beat dad, you're bound to be a little messed up. I get that. Add in a controlling grandmother and you have no chance. I get that, too. It was still annoying.

When Cissy Cahill-Holt (why would she hyphenate when she hated her family?) found her grandmother dead at the bottom of the stairs, she assumed that it was because of a fall. When she learns that her grandmother was murdered, she wonders if her mother, escaped convict Marla Cahill and bonified sociopath, could have anything to do with it. While she wouldn't put much past her murderous mom, she doesn't think that she really doesn't believe that her mother would kill her own family.

When members of her family start turning up dead, Cissy still doesn't think that her mother could be doing it. Her soon-to-be ex-husband, Jack, is determined to protect Cissy and their son, B.J. Having some of the book told from Jack's POV really nails home the fact that Cissy has major issues. Pushing him away before he can push her away, Cissy drove Jack into the arms of another woman. Even though he didn't sleep with the woman, Cissy thinks he did and kicks him out.

Aside from the heroine, another thing that annoyed me is that Jackson kept trying to get the reader to believe the villian was Jack. I'm the first to admit, I SUCK at figuring out who the bad guy is. Totally and completely suck. A good example of how bad I am at putting things together? In JRW's BDB series, I didn't know that John Matthew was Darius until a friend told me (after she laughed at me). But I never for a second considered that Jack was the villian.

We did get the villian's POV. Dude. That is one effed up person. I'm not going to tell you who it is, though. Not even Holly will guess this one.

Overall it was good. It was just a long book. I think 100 pages could have been cut out and it still would have had the same effect.

3 out of 5 stars.

3 comments:

Holly said...

In JRW's BDB series, I didn't know that John Matthew was Darius until a friend told me (after she laughed at me)

And I'm still laughing at you. HAHA! You were so skeptical at first.

Not even Holly will guess this one.

Ok, I'll bite. You forgot to remind me to buy this one, though. I'll check and see if I can find it. Although, why you'd want me to read a book with a TSTL herione is beyond me. You know how I hate those.

Holly said...

I spelled heroine wrong. My bad.

Casee said...

She's not TSTL. Not quite anyway. LOL