Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Demon Moon by Meljean Brook


From the back cover:

Return to the sensual netherworld of Demon Angel for a startling romance of eternal love threatened by the consuming darkness of a Demon Moon…

No one would call vampire Colin Ames-Beaumont kind, but they would call him unnaturally beautiful. For two centuries his tainted blood has kept him isolated from other vampires, sustained only by his beauty and vanity—bitter comforts, since a curse has erased his mirror reflection, replacing it with a terrifying glimpse of Chaos.

Savi Murray's insatiable curiosity had gotten her into trouble before, but she'd always escaped unscathed. Then came Colin. In the midst of Heaven, he gave her a taste of ecstasy—and of Chaos. Deadly creatures from that realm herald the return of an imprisoned nosferatu horde, and Colin and Savi’s bond is their only protection—and their only passion…


Well. I have to admit that I'm very pleasantly surprised by Demon Moon. It's really not a secret that I didn't enjoy Demon Angel. While I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. The book was booooring. Not all boring, but too much for me to really get into it.

First let me first say that this book was really fucking long. I mean like almost 500 pages long. There are some authors that I wish would write 500 page books. This author wasn't one of them. I went into it thinking it was going to be a repeat of Demon Angel. I am happy to admit that I was WRONG. See, I barely faltered on typing that.

Colin Ames-Beaumont is a total ass of a character. OMG. He really is. But I loved him. I loved how he had no qualms about his vanity. He knew he was beautiful and he wanted everyone to tell him so. Including Savi. The banter between those two was highly amusing. You could just tell that aside from the physical attraction, they genuinely liked each other. Which is always nice. One of my issues with Demon Angel was that there wasn't enough interaction between Hugh and Lilith. There is plenty of interaction between Colin and Savi.

So the book starts off with a bang (almost literally) when Savi is on a flight home from India. She sees a nosfertu on the plane and starts freaking out (okay, she didn't really freak out but I did). Only a few weeks (or maybe months?) before, there was an unexplained explosion on a passenger plane which killed 400 people. So she IM's Colin to get his help because both Hugh and Lilith were unavailable. (Can you IM on a plane? Did I miss something?) What happens next is that Savi saves the day. Of course all the passengers freak out because this girl is attacking an assuming passenger with a garrote. So Savi locks herself in the lavatory with Nani and wait for the calvary which arrive in the form of Michael and Selah (I really need to pick up Selah's anthology).

Sooooo, ingesting the nosfertu's blood along with the hellhound venom that she injected into him while strangling him changed her a bit. She's stronger, faster, etc. Oh and now all these wyrmwolves are after her. Everyone thinks they're after Colin because they want him to open the portal to Chaos, but they soon realize that Savi being around during all the attacks is not a coincidence.

This book had so much information that I'm still a little confused two days after finishing it. I read verrrrrry slowly as not to miss anything. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. There were times when I was flipping back through the pages to see what the hell I missed.

Colin's blood is cursed. Anyone that drinks his blood dies a horrible miserable death. So he can't turn anyone. The only one he would want to turn is Savi, which he can't do. Actually, he doesn't want her turned at all because he can't feed her and he can't stand the thought of her feeling the Bloodlust while she's feeding from someone else.

There were some good ass scenes in the book between Colin and Savi. Specifically when Savi cut her hand and slapped it over Colin's mouth. *sigh* She knew him well enough to know that he wouldn't risk taking her blood thus triggering Bloodlust and she also knew that it was the only way to get him to listen to her without interrupting. Mission accomplished.

It was an abrupt, yet satisfying ending. Ten pages before the end of the book, I was still wondering how they were going to get their HEA. I could literally feel the pain between these two as they realized what life would be like if they stayed together.

Lilith and Hugh were of course prominent figures in the book. I loved how Lilith didn't change from Demon Angel to Demon Moon. She's still a royal bitch, but Hugh is her one weak spot. I also loved when she said things like "You fucking beautiful ass" to Colin. Heee.

If you haven't picked Demon Moon up because you were unsure about Demon Angel, don't wait. You won't be disappointed.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to give an honorable mention to Sir Pup. That's one, er, three, fierce animal(s). I want one. He can carry my purse. And my kids, come to think of it. I did have a hard time at first b/c whenever I think of a dog, I think of my dog. Which is a Shih Tzu. So I was imaging my 10lb dog with three heads carrying two vampires.

8 comments:

Holly said...

I'm right there with you, babycakes. I loved this book. I was so happy with how it played out and I LUUURRRVED Colin. He was an awesome character.

I also loved that the focus of this novel was on Savi and Colin, unlike Demon Angel.

great review. : )

Rowena said...

Oh holy crap, you had me scared for a moment with Demon Angel sweetie, but I'm still going to read it and I'm going to read this one too, eventually...holy wow, this was a great review, I'm so glad you started writing these things! =)

Casee said...

I luuuurrrrved Colin too. Which surprised me cuz he was a real ass in Demon Angel. He's just a much more likable ass in Demon Moon. *g*

Rowena, you are so freaking good for my ego! LMAO

Rowena said...

Yeah well, if you sucked donkey balls writing reviews, I would have kept quiet...LMAO. It's a good thing you don't suck! haha.

What's next on your book pimping journey, huh? how are you liking the Angela Knight you're reading?

Casee said...

LMAO. Dude, you gotta stop making me laugh. They sure as hell know I'm not working!

I hope to review the Angela Knight next. It's good so far. I only have one problem, but it's a minor one. Funny, but minor. Have you read her?

Holly said...

She did an awesome job with his character, I think. I wasn't very excited to read DM, but totally loved it. Colin was yummy.

Rowena said...

Nope, I haven't read her, the only thing I know about her is that Holly mentioned her in one of the posts she wrote up for Book Binge, but aside from that, nada...is she worth picking up?

But wait...does she write paranormal? Because if she does, I'm not checking her out anytime soon, I've had it up to my eyeballs with paranormals, I want some human love for a change.

Mailyn said...

A 3 headed Shit-Zu! LMFAO! That was a good one.